Daniel, sir, let me ever so gently remind you that I was born in 1971 in Moscow _USSR_ where I lived for the first 20 years of my life. So I am kind of fully aware of The Great Patriotic War (where my maternal father fell in the battle of Moscow in 1941 and my paternal father was wounded having left this world in 1967 2 years before I was born). There is also a Patriotic War of 1812 against Napoleon. The GPW was fought between USSR and Nazi Germany. But since I mentioned USA it kind of made sense to use the more broad term of WWII, which is also correct. In fact, both terms (The Great Patriotic War and World War II are used freely in Russia without any preference that I can imagine).

Boris