It is probably not paranoia, but it surely left its mark. 20 mln is an official figure. It stands to reason that the actual figure may be substantially more. Saying that every family (literally) was affected by the war (death in the battlefield, loss to hunger, wound, etc) is probably quite correct.

Boris