I had one of those and my uncle had the Pentax 110 SLR. His was cuter,
the Minolta made better photos (and was a lot bigger). It looked like
"Mr. Spock's Camera" to me, was easy to old steady and get very sharp
results. The tiny SLR viewfinder and f/4.5 lens made for a focusing
challenge but with practice you could nail it quite nicely.

110 format was at one time available in Verichrome Pan. Long ago and
far away. Color negative, ASA 200, is about all that's available now.
Shoot that, scan and render to B&W as desired.

I gave my Minolta 110 Zoom SLR to a good friend about the time I moved
to California in 1980. He used it for another decade and some,
documented his daughters growing up with it. About the middle of the
1990s he called me to tell me the sad news: he'd fallen asleep on a
train in the UK and left the camera on the seat in his rush to wake
and get off the train at the proper station, didn't think of it until
three days later. I bought another one then, in pristine condition,
that I put a few rolls of film through and enjoyed playing with, but
my photographic interests in subminiature film formats had long since
gone to Minox. I gave that camera to another 110 enthusiast friend
who, to the best of my knowledge, still owns and uses it today.

Great cameras. $5? That's a lot less than I paid even for the second one... :-)

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com