On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM, P. J. Alling
<webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... There are those who maintain that you can reload properly salvaged 110
> cartridges with 16mm film stock but the standard perforations will fool and
> "Kodak" standard film counter, (which I cannot remember if this camera has
> or not), or the perforated stock will not allow the shutter to cock.  Either
> way frame registration will be problematic.

It can be done, several folks I know from the Submini list still do
it. It's painstaking work for 110 format due to the backing paper and
the design of the cassette. You have to cut film to length, roll it
together with the backing paper, fit it into the cassette and
reassemble/tape the cassette closed all in total darkness. You also
have to get a few un-damaged cassettes ... sometimes difficult because
most photofinishing operations just crack them in half to get to the
end of the film.

The solution to the perforation problem is to use single perforation
16mm film (or slit 35mm film to 16mm width ...) and put the
perforations on the other side of the backing paper. The Minolta 110
Zoom SLR film advance/shutter cocking mechanism doesn't have the
secondary lockout of a pin falling through the film perforations, so
all you need to do is just wind the camera (one stroke is usually
sufficient) and make your exposure. Since 16mm movie film is not
pre-exposed with a mask like 110 film stock was, frame registration is
not a problem, and who cares if they're evenly spaced? ...

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com