Following my own advice, I bought a NAS box and two 1.5TB drives yesterday when I went home to Raleigh. I configured it as RAID1 (mirrored) this morning.

The 1.5TB drives (Seagate Barracuda) were $80 each; 2TB drives would have been $180 each.

I needed more storage space for this computer. This was my primary computer up until 2007 when I got my current laptop. It's got a 200GB hard-disk, and it's almost full. There's only room enough in the case for one hard-disk.

There wasn't enough room for me to bring in my photos from 2008 - 2010 or to add anything for 2011. I've been doing the USB swap boogie, which doesn't work all that well given my natural laziness. I haven't been getting any work done because it was such a hassle to get the right backup drive connected.

Having "permanent" disk space now should alleviate that. Files are being copied while I write.

And, it's going to free up a bunch of USB drives so I can do a better job of "walking the walk" when it comes to keeping "off-site" backups.

-----
No virus found in this message.