I got a 1TB seagate with insurance past the warranty date from Staples for $69 including tax... -about to open the box.

I'll have some tech help on recovery either tonight or tomorrow night - I realize more than just the recent ist D stuff is missing from
that external  drive or hiding somewhere on it.

ann

steve harley wrote:

On 2011-01-24 10:35 , John Sessoms wrote:

Following my own advice, I bought a NAS box and two 1.5TB drives
yesterday when I went home to Raleigh. I configured it as RAID1
(mirrored) this morning.

The 1.5TB drives (Seagate Barracuda) were $80 each; 2TB drives would
have been $180 each.

since a NAS is inherently limited by your network speed, fastest drives are not crucial -- the Samsung 2TB drives for $80 at NewEgg are what i'd recommend (i'll forgo my anecdotal evidence)

<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245>