From: steve harley
On 2011-01-24 10:35 , John Sessoms wrote:
> Following my own advice, I bought a NAS box and two 1.5TB drives
> yesterday when I went home to Raleigh. I configured it as RAID1
> (mirrored) this morning.
>
> The 1.5TB drives (Seagate Barracuda) were $80 each; 2TB drives would
> have been $180 each.
since a NAS is inherently limited by your network speed, fastest drives
are not crucial -- the Samsung 2TB drives for $80 at NewEgg are what i'd
recommend (i'll forgo my anecdotal evidence)

<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245>

It wasn't the speed of the hard-disks. It was the availability.

The store had two brands of 1.5TB drives priced at $80 - WD & Seagate. Based on past experience, I'd rather have the Seagate.

They also had two brands of 2TB drives in stock - WD & Seagate. Same price, $180, for either. An extra 500GB wasn't worth spending $200 more right now.

The price from Newegg looks great, but there are two benefits to me from purchasing when & where I did:

1. I purchased at a brick & mortar location here in NC, so I paid NC sales tax at the time of purchase and I don't have to screw around with NC's internet sales tax. The internet sales tax is about 1/2% more than the sales tax on local purchases.

It just gets my goat every year. The less I buy over the internet the less I have to deal with something that pisses me off.

2. I'm not waiting for UPS to leave the damn box sitting outside my door sometime next week where it can be stolen. I walked out of the store with the hardware I wanted and I've already got it installed, up and running.

One thing I have noticed is I accumulated something like 10 USB external hard-disks, and I have the same folders backed up in multiple places. But none of the backups are in sync.

I'll have the "same" image folder on two or three different drives, but only something like 75% of the files in those folders match. Each instance of the folder is missing some file that is in one of the other instances on a different drive.

The older the images, the worse it gets. I have one folder from 5Nov2004 that contains the photos I took of the Guy Fawkes Day fireworks from Glasgow Scotland. It's duplicated on 5 different hard-disks. But 4 of those disks have a gap with about 100 images missing. Only 1 of the 5 has those 100 images on there. But that drive is missing images I took before and after the fireworks.

I'm like a pirate with a ships-wheel sticking out of the waist of my trousers ... it's driving me nuts! Arrrrgh!

-----
No virus found in this message.