On 11-01-31 5:36 PM, Glen Berry wrote:
I'm considering spending some money on a new macro lens. I used to have an older Pentax 50mm f2.8 autofocus lens that was built like a tank, and took very sharp photos. I bought it used at a local shop for only about $100, which was a huge bargain! Unfortunately, that lens got stolen along with the camera it was mounted on at the time. God, how I wish the thieves had stolen my inexpensive kit lens instead! :)

Anyway, I'm currently shooting with a K100D, and I'm trying to decide between getting one of these new macro lenses:

Pentax smc P-D FA 50mm f/2.8
Pentax SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.8

I have the DA35 and I love it. It's seen a lot of use, starting on my K100Ds. You can see a collection of my shots with it here ...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce_m_walker/tags/smcpda35mmf28/

You'll see that I use it for street and live music as well as macro.

Are either of these lenses noticeably sharper than the other?

I have no experience with the 50. The 35 is extremely sharp. If you need more convincing of that, Mike Johnston gushes about it here ...
http://photo.net/columns/mjohnston/pentax-35mm-lens/optical-discussion/

Which would you buy, especially if this were going to be your only macro lens?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again, but if I shot bugs or other small stuff I need to be further from, I'd probably want something up in the 100mm range. I wouldn't bother going with the 50mm; for me that's neither wide enough nor long enough (eg bugs), and I already have 50-ish mm covered for general purpose glass.

Are there any other macro lenses I should consider?

My wish-list has the D FA 100mm F2.8 WR on it.

-bmw