On Jan 31, 2011, at 3:45 PM, steve harley wrote:

> On 2011-01-28 09:04 , Eric Weir wrote:
>> One question right now. With my Time Machine/Time Capsule plus two other
>> external drives, would it be feasible to backup content files, e.g., photo
>> images and other content excluded from the Time Machine backups, and image
>> the hard drive on my MacBook, especially the operating system and
>> applications directories, to the same external drives?
>
> yes, a few ways i can think of; it would be dead simple if you had partitions
> on your external drives for each purpose; or you could use Carbon Copy
> Cloner's feature "Protect root-level items on the target" -- i use this all
> the time to make full bootable backups to drives where i also have other data
> stored in top-level folders
>
> if you use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a backup of just your images, it will
> want to put that folder in the same nested position as the source (e.g.
> "/Users/Eric/Pictures ..."), which makes such a backup incompatible with also
> cloning a bootable drive, since it's not on the top level, and will be
> overwritten/resynced; the solution to that is another option (in Preferences)
> "Clone to this subfolder on the target volume"
>
> setting up these features can be fussy, but you can create set & forget
> configs with Carbon Copy Cloner, and even have them execute on a schedule;
> otherwise i'd just use command-line rsync

I'll be getting serious about this soon. I won two auctions on eBay yesterday
for 1T WD/MyBooks with USB/FireWire/eSATA interface. I already have one 500GB
USB MyBook. A thought is to use the latter for imaging the hard drive on my
laptop and the other two to redundantly back up photo images and other bulky
files/directories. I will not be able to automate the processes, though, as I'm
normally work connected to the web via WiFi. Imaging and backing up will have
to be done semi-manually, i.e., after connecting to the drives. I'm guessing
that Carbon Copy Clone will allow me to save procedures so they can be executed
with a single click.

I don't understand your second paragraph. Sounds like you're saying there's
some kind of limitation on my ability to specify target locations for backups.
Whatever, will it apply when I'm using a drive only for backing up photo
images, etc., not for also imaging my hard drive?

While I'm at it, in case anyone is looking for low-cost hard drives, BestBuy is
currently auctioning a bunch of the 1T WD/MyBooks that I got yesterday. Total
price for the two I got was $140. Shipping is free.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net