On 2011-02-02 11:32 , Eric Weir wrote:
I think I'll have to wait till the drives arrive and I start setting this up
before I'll fully understand, but I'm taking it from what you say [1] that the
default procedure can be over-ridden, i.e., that I can specify the path to
which backups are to be made, and [2] that this would only give rise to
problems anyway if I were doing two types of save to the same drive, which now
I will not need to do.

yes

If it's correct that I can specify the path to which the save is to be made,
will doing that interfere with restoration of files to their original source
should that become necessary?

Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't have any specific restoration options; any selective restoration would be set up manually (much different from Time Machine), but for system disk images, you'd typically just clone the clone back to the boot drive (or swap the clone into the machine in place of a boot drive)

if you've used it (or any other means) to sync/backup your photos to a path that doesn't match the source path, you could still, with a little care, set it up to restore to the source, but i'd be inclined to just do a finder copy, or rsync