On Feb 1, 2011, at 6:06 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

> From: Ann Sanfedele
>> Gotta point this out to Larry... There is an odd phenom happening
>> here - on the right side there is a kind of streakiness in the steam
>> Something I had earlier seen in one of Larry's pics and couldt
>> describe well ... it has little to do with your photo as a photo -
>> which I like, but it is something that happens with digital captures
>> and processing that wouldn't have happened with film... another thing
>> is, when this happens, what does one do to get rid of it? Am I the
>> only one seeing the pinkish waves?
>>
>> ann frank theriault wrote:

> I see what looks like sunlight and shadow streaks through the steam over in
> front of the cyclist.
>
> There appear to be some streaks of wind-blown mist around the woman and what
> may be the shadow of something outside of the frame above and behind her.
>
> I also see what look like fairly heavy jpeg compression artifacts around the
> front of the bicycle frame, the front wheel and where the cyclist's arms
> extend down towards where he's holding the handlebars.
>
> Or perhaps it's some kind of moire pattern from the capture.

I'm not seeing those.  I wonder if perhaps Ann is running into problems from a
low resolution monitor, or heavy compression for the bit per pixel of her
monitor or something.  A lot of what she describes sounds like artifacts from
overly processing jpegs where you end up with a histogram that looks like a
comb.  Maybe there's some processing in her display system that has a similar
effect.