On 11-02-12 7:03 AM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
In regard to paper, when printing 8 x 12 images or crops close to that size, I
print two on a sheet of 13 x 19 paper. I use only 13 x 19 paper, and simply cut
out the prints, if they're not sized to use the full sheet. Like Bob, I don't
always crop to a standard size. But for photos that are intended for sale, it's
much more economical to buy pre-cut mats than to have custom mats cut, so I
tend to plan ahead and shoot to a standard size.
Paul

I bought a Logan mat cutter that handles standard 40" mat board. Now all my mats are custom, though I still use off-the-shelf frames.

http://www.logangraphic.com/products/boardmounted/intermediate.shtml

I found it only takes about $10 of wasted board to master the cutter. :-)

The advantages are: print shots to whatever size and aspect ratio I want (I don't own a printer and the service I use prints on continuous roll-paper); produce more interesting mats (for example, by using black-core board); my mats are about 1/4 the cost of off-the-shelf.

-bmw