Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

I don't worry too much what other people do or say about what aspect
ratio a photograph ought to be.

- For my personal work, I shoot what I like and size the photos per my
own desires and aesthetic decisions.
- When I'm shooting for a client, I ask them what size and shape they
want the products to be. I produce that.

When I go to print, I like large borders. My usual printing size is
about 6x8 inches or so on 8.5x11 inch for standard prints.

 (snip)...

The art of presenting photographs is at least as complex and deep as
the art of making photographs.
Exactly my approach as well... including what a print for myself (which you've seen
in person, Godders)

ann