The man's right.

I think that this whole issue stems from the more general concept. Often we would confuse our personal perception of something with its general counterpart. As a consequence, we would project our own perception and, in this very case, call an image "true to life" whereas the notion of what is "true" is different for every single one of us. But without noticing that "true to life" of mine may be different from that of another person, I would engage myself in a heated debate with them, although in many cases such a debate would be pointless from the beginning.

To that end, I can only recall once in a lifetime (so far) experience of visiting a photo exhibition in Chicago with fellow PDMLers. That was a blast in many aspects, including that of being able to actually talk with someone about what I saw knowing that they are a kindred spirit that would most likely understand me better.

Boris