On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> The camera is just one tool in the photographer's toolbox.

I think that deserves a "MARK!", even though I kind of disagree with you.

Surely the camera is more than "just one tool" in our toolbox.  It's
~the~ tool, isn't it?  Without it there's no photograph.  No matter
what other hardware, software or storage devices you put your images
in or through, the camera is the necessary starting point of the
photographic process (no, the photographer is not the starting point,
because s/he only becomes a photographer when s/he has a camera with
him/her).  A photographic idea without a camera is still not a
photograph, is it?

Still, that was a great quote, John.  Very pithy.  I like pith.

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."  -Henri Cartier-Bresson