On 11-02-17 4:11 PM, frank theriault wrote:
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM, John Sessoms<jsessoms...@nc.rr.com>  wrote:

The camera is just one tool in the photographer's toolbox.
I think that deserves a "MARK!", even though I kind of disagree with you.

I agree with John. There's no real photography, as a pursuit, without other tools.

Surely the camera is more than "just one tool" in our toolbox.  It's
~the~ tool, isn't it?  Without it there's no photograph.  No matter
what other hardware, software or storage devices you put your images
in or through, the camera is the necessary starting point of the
photographic process (no, the photographer is not the starting point,
because s/he only becomes a photographer when s/he has a camera with
him/her).  A photographic idea without a camera is still not a
photograph, is it?

Still, that was a great quote, John.  Very pithy.  I like pith.

cheers,
frank

There's only one very narrowly defined case where the camera is THE tool. If you glue a flash memory card into a camera with one lens permanently attached, then take shots in available light which you only ever view on the 3" LCD on the back -- then yes, that's your only tool.

In all other cases your camera forms one part -- albeit an extremely important part -- of your photographic tool chain. You'll most likely also have a computer, software, a viewing screen, a printer or print service, an online service where you share your shots (the PUG counts), additional lenses, lights, reflectors, and so on ...

Photographically, Vivian Maier would not have existed if her work had been destroyed after her death. If a shutter clicks in the forest, does it make a picture?

-bmw