Larry thanks for the tips as I am still attempting to figure out all the
different and many settings on the K-R.

Jeffery

-----Original Message-----
From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
Larry Colen
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:23 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: A few more pictures

On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:57 PM, John Coyle wrote:

> I'm not a cat person myself, so the subject is only OK for me! But, a
> distinct improvement with the exposures, Jeffery, you seem to be
> nailing that.  For the moon shot, if memory serves me right you need
> to overexpose by 2-3 stops compared with the automatic meter setting
> to get a bright moon surface (correct me if I'm wrong, PDML'ers!)

My technique is to put the camera in M, set the the aperture, then use the
green button to set shutter speed (I have the green button configured to Av
mode).  I then chimp the histogram and adjust so that the brights are just
short of clipping (Expose To The Right).
Also, the moon is actually better to shoot at half than at full, because you
get more depth cues from shadows of the edges of the craters.

follow the directions.