I agree with most of what you've outlined. 900 pixels wide is perfect for
horizontals and 300 K is ample. But I'd go to 800 pixels wide for verticals. in
this day of hi-res monitors, most can accommodate that. And while my laptop is
only 1280 x 800, and I occasionally view images on it, I'd rather scroll and/or
downsize than look at a puny pic.
Paul