Why can't people scroll for vertical shots?  What is the requirement
that the entire picture be shown onscreen?

If it's a real issue, change the gallery behavior to display a naked
image when you click on the larger size.  That way the image will
scale to the size of the viewer's browser window, and they can enlarge
it if desired.

--
David Parsons Photography
http://www.davidparsonsphoto.com