On 11-02-17 4:01 PM, Brian Walters wrote:
Currently images submitted for inclusion in our Pentax Users Gallery
(PUG) are supposed to meet the following criteria:

# Maximum file size is 256kb.
# Maximum image dimension is 720 pixels on the longest side.

 From time to time there are suggestions that these limits are too
restrictive. So, a review is in order.

[...]
Your thoughts......

While it would be wonderful to support fancy automatic size-fitting images to handle all manner of screens (what about those who view the PUG on iPhones and Androids?), it will be an enormous headache. Galleries like Smugmug, Flickr, Photo.net etc. do that sort of thing and it's a lot of work to get right.

Enforcing a fixed upper dimension limit is fine as long as it's reasonably generous. I think you can safely ignore those few who still view the web on a VGA or even SVGA monitor. People like that will be quite used to suffering anyway.

I'd suggest picking a simple fixed format like "image must fit within an 800x800 box." That will not unfairly penalize portrait or landscape images, but may encourage square crops as a side effect.

If you must impose a file byte size limit, you must. People will just have to crank on the JPEG Quality slider until it fits. That penalizes images with a lot of transitions and detail; a little gaussian blur before downsizing and compressing can help there. (Photoshop has that option in their export menu.)

My 2 cents (Canadian; which is 1.016 x US atm).

-bmw