On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:52 +1100, "Peter McIntosh" <peter...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 28 February 2011 08:44, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> > My wife has a PC, because I didn't want to spend the money to get her a
> > Mac:-). Seriously, all she does is e-mail and a bit of web surfing, and her
> > Acer laptop works fine. It came with McAfee virus protection, but it has
> > expired and they want $40 a year to continue. Sounds like a lot. Is there a
> > better option? Something inexpensive that I won't have to set up? Something
> > that will install itself if I go to the website and click on it? I have no
> > idea how one installs software on a PC, although I suspect it's not very
> > hard.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help on this.
> >
> > Paul
> > --
>
> Paul,
>
> I've been using the free, home version Avira anti-virus on up to 7
> machines at home for years with minimal issues.  It's worked a treat
> for me. You can get it here:
>
> http://www.avira.com/en/for-home

In a similar vein, I've used the free AVG and Avast on various PCs for
years and both work fine.  So far, both programs have caught the odd
virus-infected file that might have caused problems and (to the best of
my knowledge) my PCs have remained uninfected.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia