On Feb 27, 2011, at 6:53 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

> From: Paul Stenquist
>> I do find it interesting that a lot of teachers buy Hondas and Toyota
>> that are produced in right to work states by non-union workers.
>> There's a bit of "do as I say, not as I do" in that kind of
>> reasoning.
>>

> Should we not then on the same basis question the integrity of anyone
> represented by a union who buys from the "Big Three"?

Of course not, the non-union workers don't march and sing Solidarity Forever.

> The "Big Three" not only have their own factories in those "right to work"
> states, but in the Maquiladora as well. And they've been closing their
> unionized factories, moving the work to their non-union locations.

All their U.S. plants are unionized, it's part of the agreement with the UAW.

> Plus, it may have something to do with Hondas and Toyotas only being
> manufactured in "right to work" states. How many factories do Honda, Toyota
> and BMW have in non- "right to work" states? If you want a Honda or a Toyota,
> you buy a Honda or Toyota.

I'd have to check to be absolutely certain, but I believe all of their U.S.
plants are in right to work states. In any case the union contract requires
that the Detroit three hire a specified number of union workers, regardless of
where the cars are built. Of course, they're all employed in the U.S., but they
are meant to counter activity at non-U.S. plants. However, because the union
has been cooperating, the automakers are giving them perks in return. Ford
announced last August that it would actually hire more union workers than the
contract required. Many of these are workers who were previously layed off.

> Where the factory is located doesn't enter in to the equation any more than
> it does when you buy a vehicle from GM.

It does if you're a staunch union supporter.

> Before you cast aspersions at other peoples choices, refuse to buy any
> vehicle from any manufacturer who closes a unionized plant so they could
> manufacturing of their vehicles in a non-unionized plant.

I'm certainly not required to do anything of the sort. And i will express my
opinions regardless. It's unfortunate that you always have to turn polite
debates into something personal at some point.

Paul