Since, as I recall, Ted gets his list in digest form, I hope he doesn't mind if I reply, as it may be a little while before he gets the question. And I hope you won't think I'm being presumptuous.

The reason they're being torn down is because the town has been declared an environmental catastrophe and one of the most toxic towns in the US. It was an old lead and zinc mining town from the late 1800's through the late 1900's, and due to the mining activity, a lot of the toxins used in the processing of the ore started to leech into the water table -- so much so that at times the creeks that ran through the town would turn a blood red color.

Also, there are these massive piles of mine trailings (essentially pulverized stone and grit) probably 60 - 70 meters high that are contaminated as well, and they're scattered in different places in, essentially, the heart of the town. When the winds pick up -- which is pretty often in Oklahoma -- that stuff blows all over the place. And, then, there are sink holes (which I didn't get to see, though I did see some houses that looked to be sinking) here and there caused by subsidence, where the mining has compromised the surface. I've seen one picture of a sink hole that was wide enough to swallow a good-sized building.

And, as if all that weren't enough, as the town was slowly being vacated, it was hit with a HUGE tornado.

I did a little bit of a write-up with some of the photos I took while I was there -- which you can check out here if you're so inclined:

http://waltgilbert.posterous.com/picher-oklahoma-americas-newest-ghost-town

It's just a terrible, sad story -- but an endlessly fascinating place. For now.

-- Walt