Darren, Bob, Brian, Jostein,

Thank you all very much for your extensive and informative replies.

I think Jostein's below comment explains why SilkyPix developer
produces a better looking output:
>>It might be that SilkyPix' understanding of proprietary data gives it an edge
>>in the processing.

I use LightZone and still like it very much. However,
in spite of my attempts at slight exposure compensation (using K20D)
to expose to the right,
LightZone displays the default images as 1/2 stops or more underexposed.
They simply look lifeless at first sight.
The same pef files look different (properly exposed) under SilkyPix.

I guess I can make it sing somewhat like SilkyPix by tweaking its tools.
Its "styles" can work more or less like "presets".

Anyway, your comments were most helpful for me to understand the issues better.

Bulent

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bc_the_path/
http://photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=2226822
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/bulentcelasun