On 3/4/2011 11:00 PM, Bulent Celasun wrote:
I think Jostein's below comment explains why SilkyPix developer
produces a better looking output:
It might be that SilkyPix' understanding of proprietary data gives it an edge
in the processing.

I use LightZone and still like it very much. However,
in spite of my attempts at slight exposure compensation (using K20D)
to expose to the right,
LightZone displays the default images as 1/2 stops or more underexposed.
They simply look lifeless at first sight.
The same pef files look different (properly exposed) under SilkyPix.

Chiming in here. Bulent, personally I resolved to using LightRoom which I find consistent and convenient. I am thinking that the "curves" that you mention are somewhat similar to the secret ingredients of fine chefs. I don't think that you can absolutely match the way one piece of RAW software makes it happen on the other such software. You can try to do so my trial and error or by shooting some very controlled shots (such as color targets under well defined lighting) and work from there, but personally I think it will be a bit of a Sisyphus' labor.

My understanding that more recent Pentax own software is based on SilkyPix engine. It therefore would stand to reason that SilkyPix would have a bit of 'advantage' over others, but like I said - LR does it for me and LR 3.0 was a very welcome improvement in debayering algorithm and other aspects of processing.

Boris