Mark Roberts wrote:

>Larry Colen wrote:
>

>>How would you kill someone with a power point presentation?
>>

>I thought that was the function of all Powerpoint presentations.

As with any tools, there are good ways of using it, and there are
the ways that a majority uses it.

A few curious facts:
1. The Powerpoint creator has never intended it for such a broad user
base. So it was designed for a much narrower category of users.

2. One can learn the "right" ways of using the PP.
There are people who even write books about that, such as
E. Tufte already quoted by Bob W.

Speaking of which,
IMHO, Tufte provides some reasonable criticism, but some of his
suggestions have "post-modernism" level with a high level of showing off
- for which the french word is "epatage".
At that point it is not applicable or comprehensible for the broader
audience (or for that matter, - even I and my colleagues and friends who
have well-above-average level of education and training on the
topic of art of presentations do not understand what he wants to say).

There are people who have much better, practical approaches to teaching
how to use PPT effiently.
Just one example: Michael Alley.
He has very nice book:
The craft of scientific presentations : critical steps to succeed and
critical errors to avoid.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/craft-of-scientific-presentations-critical-steps-to-succeed-and-critical-errors-to-avoid/oclc/50314962

There is also a nice website with examples and templates:
http://www.writing.engr.psu.edu/slides.html
While I disagree with him on some (mostly minor) aspects, this is a good
resource.

I also like this book:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/dazzle-em-with-style-the-art-of-oral-scientific-presentation/oclc/29667839
R. R. H. Anholt, "Dazzle 'em with style : the art of oral scientific
presentation" - It doesn't focus as much on the PPT, focusing
on the all aspects of presentations (including viewgraphs);
 but still enough to point out how it should be done.

Igor