On Mar 20, 2011, at 8:11 AM, Cory Waters wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> There seems to be quite a number of you folks out there who now have newer
> DSLRs with video capabilities.  It's been a year or more since these cameras
> came online but I don't see any VideoESOs flying past in the PDML.

I've posted links to one or two.

> Granted, I don't check the list as often as I used to and I don't read nearly
> as many of your messages as I once did (I AM still watching you
> though...Cotty... and Frank... and Doug) but I figured by now video
> submissions would be a common occurrence around here.

Cotty has definitely posted a few links to his own work.

> Is video a gimmick feature that you just don't use?

> Are your videos too racy? (let us judge ;)
> Is making decent videos just too hard?
> Or are you guys just too much the "old dog" type or even "purists"?

My videography is about one step up from the equivalent of snapshots with an
instamatic.  Actually, that's not quite true, the image quality of videos that
my K-x or K-5 are capable of is gobsmacking, so my videos are more akin to
facebook, "friends partying in the bar" snapshots taken by a drunken fratboy,
with a hasselblad.

> For my part, having at least six video cameras lying around the house (I'm
> actually surprised by this number but I'm counting the cell phones and P&S
> cameras + 1 "Flip" style camera), I find that the same problems that have
> plagued us since the days of film-based home movies.  Just rolling during
> family events and outings produces lots of crap footage that nobody really
> wants to edit into a package that anyone besides Grandma would want to watch.
>
> So, Why no VESOs, y'all?

Because I don't want to try to edit that crap into a package that anyone
besides Grandma would want to watch, and both of mine passed away decades ago.