On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 02:54:49PM -0400, Bruce Walker wrote:

> That was the favourite failure mode of my Praktica and drove me
> nuts. Eventually I decided to always waste the 1st frame by doing
> one extra advance to see if it was still winding. Better that than
> waste an entire roll.

I guess I';m a little confused here.

On all the film cameras I owned you had to advance the film a couple
of frames after closing the back.  I used to do this after turning
the "rewind" crank to pre-tension the film (which I generally did
while the camera back was still open).

That way it was very obvious if the film was advancing properly.
the ME had some little indicator to show the film was moving, IIRC,
but I never relied on that.

The same trick worked on later cameras with motorised film advance.