> Gang,
> Once again I have been infused by a mischievous spirit inspiring me to
> index my images with keywords. I use a controlled vocabulary built and
> maintained by Norwegian nature photographer Ole Jørgen Liodden, and it
> works pretty well for my shots too. But all such systems have their
> flaws, and I would like to learn from other's experience with
> controlled vocabularies. Self-made or bought. How do you maintain
> them?
>
> Jostein

I don't bother. If you think of the classic captioning rules about who,
what, when, where and why you will usually include enough to find what you
want. Then 'when' is taken care of by the time in the metadata. Your
keywording job is just to put in the rest of the stuff at the lowest level
you find convenient.

For example, for 'where' I put in which part of London I shot it (say
'bloomsbury' & 'london'), or just the town if the town is small, then I put
in other features that seem relevant, such as 'river' 'thames'.

For 'what' I include the event, eg 'marathon'

Any people whose name I know. If I don't know the name, then some
distinguishing characteristic if they are the subject, eg 'boy'
'somersault'.

In one of the earlier versions of Lightroom they made hierarchies of
keywords quite easy, which was fairly useful for grouping things which were
genuinely heirarchical - it meant I didn't have to type 'london' every time
I put in a borough, because I could include the borough in the london
hierarchy, or I didn't have to include 'river' every time I used 'thames',
but that seems to have fallen by the wayside, embankment, pavement, roadway,
thoroughfare, path, avenue, ...

Bob
my house
Greenwich