Green mode is meant to be an "idiot mode," if you'll pardon the expression.
It's there so that someone with no knowledge of photography can pick up the
camera and get suitable results. Overriding any settings that were accidentally
tweaked is obviously part of that plan. For more advanced users, who want to
preserve their settings but still shoot without much thought, there is the P or
program mode. It will pick an exposure for you if you just want to pick up the
camera and shoot, but it will do that in respect to your menu selections. You
wouldn't want a green mode that did exactly the same thing.

Paul