On Apr 19, 2011, at 8:36 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> It's always been a question mark to me ... Why does a camera costing
> $1500+ need a "green mode"? Does Pentax (or anyone else) really expect
> newbies to spend $1500 for a camera body?

I'm willing to bet that people like that even buy Leicas. Level of experience
or knowledge has nothing to do with how much someone spends on something.  Look
at how long sportscars have been available with automatic transmissions, even
before the modern ones that arguably can out perform human shifting.

> And for those people to
> tweak the settings inappropriately enough that a special mode is
> needed so they can get a passible photograph?

How about Steve Wozniak and his stunt in a Beech Bonanza, which has a lot to do
with why Scotts Valley has a K-mart  and not an airstrip.

> Or even know that they
> need to switch to "green mode" if they know little enough to set the
> camera so inappropriately?
>
> Seems kinda ridiculous. If I hand my camera to someone I know isn't a
> sophisticated user, I set it up for them and tell them what to go to
> get a good photograph. I don't expect the inexperienced user to know
> that the camera should be in "green mode."

I have to admit, the green mode does do a pretty good job of choosing the
settings, but I'd expect that file format would be the one that it should let
the camera owner choose.  I've handed my camera to other people a few times
over the years, and my quick stab at the settings often failed miserably.