Grete Waitz died today, awfully young... 57. She won the New York City Marathon 9 times. I got these two shots in 1980 - that year was her 3rd win and the second time she broke a world record.
http://annsan.smugmug.com/On-the-Road-or-On-Foot/New-York-City-back-in-the-day/5908739_3pLhP/1/1257776747_SB5Pz6K/Large

http://annsan.smugmug.com/Talented-People/Talented-People-BW-photos/3605515_N6r2N/1/1257775383_97WxSPX/Large

A few years ago I sold the silver gel print of the second of these on ebay.. it was purchased , as it happens, by a friend of hers who gave it to her as a present. I was mighty pleased about that. Wish I'd gotten sharper shots - what is interesting to me in the second one is - who is that guy with the very high number bsting her by a few feet in that shot? I think at some point I tried to find out if it was someone who later became something
of a star but now don't remember what I learned , if anything.

ann