thanks JOhn --

Mark pointed out, having see THIS post earliest, that the first photo had nothing to do with the marathon... but now reading what I wrote just before the first link, that still could have applied... but it aint true. the buildings were taken very much later and certainly didnt not imply any editorial comment in a macabre black humor way on Grete's untimely demise.

ann

John Sessoms wrote:

From: Ann Sanfedele

Grete Waitz  died today, awfully young... 57.
 She won the New York  City Marathon 9 times.
I got these two shots in 1980 - that year was her 3rd win and the second
time she broke a world record.

http://annsan.smugmug.com/On-the-Road-or-On-Foot/New-York-City-back-in-the-day/5908739_3pLhP/1/1257776747_SB5Pz6K/Large

http://annsan.smugmug.com/Talented-People/Talented-People-BW-photos/3605515_N6r2N/1/1257775383_97WxSPX/Large

A few years ago I sold the silver gel print of the second of these on
ebay.. it was purchased , as it happens, by a friend of hers
who gave it to her as a present.  I was mighty pleased about that.

Wish I'd gotten sharper shots - what is interesting to me in the second
one is - who is that guy with the very high number
bsting her by a few feet in that shot?  I think at some point I tried to
find out if it was someone who later became something
of a star but now don't remember what I learned , if anything.

Ain't that the way it always goes?

Can't "remember what I learned, if anything".

Story of my life.

Shame about Ms Waitz. There was another famous runner, I think his name was Jim Fixx, who dropped dead of a heart attack at a very young age.

Someone made a comment at the time that he was born with a weak heart and that the fitness from running probably kept him from having that heart attack sooner.

I dunno.

I like the photos.