I am ok with manipulation, and in my own novice way I do work on my own images.
I just think that some are too extreme in that they go beyond what the human
eye would be capable of seeing. A hyper-realistic effect where the key elements
are exaggerated to the point that makes them unreal. YMMV.
I just went back through the set looking for specific examples, and found that
I was a bit more sanguine the second time through. But it still just does not
feel right to me to have a bright reflection off the rocks when the sun is so
dim. I think the shots where he did not use dramatic lighting as an element are
quite impressive.

stan