On 2011-04-19 19:27 , Stan Halpin wrote:
Aperture (and Lightroom which has also been mentioned) are relatively expensive
general purpose programs that do two things: a) they support a file management
process so that you can systematically name, tag, and store your images in a
form that they  will be accessible when you need them; and b) they provide a
suite of image manipulation tools.
So, do you need Aperture (or Lightroom)? Yes, if you need those capabilities.
If you are just interested in the manipulation/editing features, something like
the Photoshop Elements, also previously mentioned, will be useful to you.

except that the non-destructive workflow of LR & Aperture can make image manipulation much more efficient, especially from a photographer's perspective of experimenting with different exposures & crops ...

For example, Lightroom offers me options on re-naming my files when I bring
them in from the SDHC card. Several options, a bit complex to manage, but
really not more than 5 minutes of reading and trial-and-error to work out a
routine for your workflow. The hard part is in knowing what you want the
software to do. So in this example, the hard part is in thinking about how you
will store and retrieve your images, and how the naming convention you use will
make that process less tedious.

that's dangerous example since many (not all of course) use these tools to leave behind any need for naming conventions; but conversely it's a good example since it shows how different people will get more from different features