On 16 May 2011 23:33, Godfrey DiGiorgi <gdigio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> M,
>
> Seems to be no shortage of the GH2 around here.

I don't know about B&M stores, I just know the online stores don't
have continuous stocks. The rumour blogs publish a post that it's in
stock at Amazon or B&H, and within 1/2 an hour it's out of stock
again. You won't see that happening with a Digital Rebel  :-)

> I'm well aware of
> Panasonic building a model line, I still think their interests and
> mine are moving in different directions.

I know what you mean. The G2 is a nice camera (and at current prices
it's a steal), but I don't see Panny trying to make the advanced
shooter happy, especially if said shooter likes small primes. Or
primes at all. I'm assuming you're an advanced shooter,  Godfrey  ;-)

> Olympus will have their "pro grade" Micro-FourThirds body soon. And
> some new lenses.

Despite the claims by 4/3 sensor evangelists that the size difference
isn't that significant when compared to APS-C, especially for those
who crop to 4:5 (and I do), I have not been that impressed by the 4/3
sensors I've used *in low light*. Below ISO 800 there's no great
diffrerence, but I do shoot a lot of high ISO. Having said all this, I
woluld have no problem making a micro-4/3 my system of choice if there
were more lenses out there at the level of the Panny 20mm f/1.7...and
a body to go with them. Which is why I'm so curious to see what Oly's
"pro grade" body is going to be like.

>But I'm enjoying the GXR so much I don't know if I
> need it until the model that replaces the E-5 shows up.

I've been shooting it for a few days and I'm impressed with it. I've
not been comfortable with the 28mm unit (that's my issue, not the
lens's) but the 50mm is working out fine. That said, I would much
rather have given up the macro and had it be f/2 or f/1.8 rather than
f/2.5 and macro. You're going to buy one, right?

Here's a GXR question for you: Is there any way to assign a button to
AF so it's decoupled from the shutter release? There doesn't seem to
be, so my work-around is to focus with the shutter release half
pressed then swtich the camera to manual focus.

If they can keep the upcoming M mount sensor unit in the $300 range,
and maybe offer some type of special deal when bought with the body, I
think they might sell well to the M lens crowd that would prefer a
1.5x crop rather than the micro-4/3 2x crop.

Cheers,

   —M.

    \/\/o/\/\ --> http://WorldOfMiserere.com

    http://EnticingTheLight.com