On 11-05-25 4:20 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:
On 11-05-25 11:17 AM, David J Brooks wrote:
A good friend of mine has a scan of an old family photo in pretty
rough shape and asked me last night if i could help fix it. I just got
the scan a few moments ago:

http://www.caughtinmotion.com/picture0001.jpg

and had a quick look. I'm not even sure i know how to go about
touching this up. I told he i would look and at least try.

Any comments or help.

She tried to send a large Tiff file but on dial up the 24mb photo
would not load so she just sent me a 2.5 MB jpg.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

As others have pointed out, your biggest challenges are (1) removing the paper texture, and (2) decreasing the softness. But it turns out that #1 isn't as bad as generally thought, and #2 can be addressed too.

The solution to the first problem lies with the FFT, or Fast Fourier Transform. You convert your image into the frequency domain, look for symmetrical mid and high frequency components that shouldn't be there, mask them out and reconvert back to image space.

You can uncross your eyes now. :)

To prove that that works, here's your image after some processing I just tried ...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2254722/picture0001-filtered2.jpg

I used ImageMagick and "Fred's Scripts" (fftfilter, spectrum) to create the image spectrum and process the image, and Photoshop to create the filtering mask.

You can deal with #2 by using Photoshop's Smart Sharpen filter set to do "local contrast enhancement" style sharpening. Basically you crank the Radius upwards to the range 16-32 and set the Amount down between 12% to 25%. I tried two passes with that and got reasonable results (not shown in the image above).

Of course you also need to patch up the little places where the emulsion has flaked away, but the PS clone brushes can easily handle that.

HTH.

-bmw

OK, I took the FFT processed result and did some spot-cloning, noise reduction (Noiseware Pro), two passes of Smart Sharpening and finally levels to improve black level and contrast/brightness ...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2254722/picture0001-filtered2a.jpg

Printed at a modest size on metallic paper, this would probably look pretty good.

-bmw