On May 25, 2011, at 10:33 PM, Stan Halpin wrote:

> On May 25, 2011, at 8:24 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:
>

>> OK, I took the FFT processed result and did some spot-cloning, noise
>> reduction (Noiseware Pro), two passes of Smart Sharpening and finally levels
>> to improve black level and contrast/brightness ...
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2254722/picture0001-filtered2a.jpg
>>
>> Printed at a modest size on metallic paper, this would probably look pretty
>> good.
>>
>> -bmw
>
> Dave, in reading through this thread and seeing other's efforts, it seems
> that there are two different issues. One is that the photo is old, somewhat
> degraded, and wasn't all that great to begin with. The second has to do with
> the process and quality of the scan. I think Bruce has made major
> improvements to the image, but most of his efforts were to overcome a bad
> scan. If your friend really is serious, she should have you or someone else
> redo the scan. Even then you have the quality of the (degraded) image to deal
> with. The wear and tear can be dealt with, Bruce and others have shown that.
> The main thing, though, based on experience working with 1890's photos from
> my wife's family, is to remember that it is what it is. If you could make it
> look clean and sharp and with more contrast, it will no longer look like an
> old family photo.
>
> stan

I think the scan is probably okay. There's a lot of detail in the texture of
the photo paper. If the scan was soft, the texture wouldn't show that much
detail. I suspect the print is as soft as the scan in terms of the subect
detail. I doubt that anything better than what Bruce has done is possible
without going to extreme measures.
Paul