On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Tim Bray <tb...@textuality.com> wrote:

> The whole thing seems like it's addressing a very limited market; how
> many people here at PDML have any interest in a GPS on their camera?

I do, for $50. Not $250. Given that I can buy a GPS navigation device
with maps of the entire United States, with perpetual updates, and a
touchscreen, and so forth for $100, I'm not enthusiastic about paying
the Photographic Equipment Premium for a dedicated device.

> Also, I'd be suspicious how well it works.  Good GPS functionality on
> something that's normally switched off is a hard problem.  It's a
> little easier for phones because they can get an initial rough fix via
> the cell network and other clues.  But zeroing in starting from zero
> using only GPS signal is not, unless things have changed recently, a
> particularly well-solved problem.

Things are a lot better than they used to be. The SIRF Star III chip,
which is widely used and has been out for a good while, has these
specs:

Time To First Fix
    Hot start - Autonomous <1 s
    Warm start - Autonomous <35 s