On 03/06/2011 11:02 AM, John Francis wrote:

Sophistry. Apple might not store the location of the phone, but
the phone did (together with a timestamp).  It was trivially easy
to show where the phone had been during the previous days or weeks;
all the news reports I saw showed an application doing exactly that.

That's what people object to - unwittingly carrying a spy in their
pocket.  I wouldn't necessarily want my employer to know that I'd
been on the same street (or even in the same town) as the head office
of a major competitor;  other people probably don't want their wife
(or their parents) to know which part of town they've been visiting.

There was, when this topic was in the news, some concern that police were carrying devices that could download the contents of these devices, and were able to do so wirelessly. I don't know how much, if any, truth there is to this, but the thought of it is rather chilling.

--

William Robb