On Jun 3, 2011, at 1:11 PM, William Robb wrote:

> On 03/06/2011 11:02 AM, John Francis wrote:
>>

>> That's what people object to - unwittingly carrying a spy in their
>> pocket.  I wouldn't necessarily want my employer to know that I'd
>> been on the same street (or even in the same town) as the head office
>> of a major competitor;  other people probably don't want their wife
>> (or their parents) to know which part of town they've been visiting.
>>

> There was, when this topic was in the news, some concern that police were
> carrying devices that could download the contents of these devices, and were
> able to do so wirelessly.
> I don't know how much, if any, truth there is to this, but the thought of it
> is rather chilling.
>
> --
>
> William Robb

It could be useful though. A couple of years ago I was trying to get back into
the U.S.
"Where are you coming from" the custom official asks.
"New York", I says, "I was there for a family reunion."
"How long have you been in Canada?" she asks.
""Five and a half hours" I reply. "Three hours driving and 2.5 hours sitting
here in line."
"Out of the car smart-ass" she says. "Open all of the doors and the back of
your vehicle."

Now if she could have read my phone's location database she would have known I
was telling the simple truth and not being a smart-ass at all.

stan