On 2011-06-03 11:02 , John Francis wrote:
Sophistry. Apple might not store the location of the phone, but
the phone did (together with a timestamp).  It was trivially easy
to show where the phone had been during the previous days or weeks;
all the news reports I saw showed an application doing exactly that.

my rebuttal of specific points stands; the phone didn't store it's own location per se, but someone with access to the phone, or the backups if encryption were off, could extrapolate general whereabouts of the phone over time

not sure what Android is doing to address the similar criticism of their location cache

That's what people object to - unwittingly carrying a spy in their
pocket.  I wouldn't necessarily want my employer to know that I'd
been on the same street (or even in the same town) as the head office
of a major competitor;

if your employer is probing your phone in such ways, you have bigger problems