On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 01:27:58PM -0400, David Parsons wrote:
> All cell phones can be traced to the cell towers that they connect to
> by the wireless provider.  Do you really think that Verizon or AT&T
> aren't keeping records of which cell towers your phone is talking to,
> and the time/date?

No.  But AFAIK thy don't (and, in fact, can't) do that if the phone isn't
transmitting - they don't know it is there.

(Furthermore, getting that information from AT&T or Verizon is quite a
bit harder than simply downloading an unencrypted file from the phone.)

One of the issues with the iPhone was that (according to some folks) it
keeps track of which towers it can see, even if the phone is switched off.

The question I can't answer is whether turning off the phone disables all
wireless capability, or just the transmitter side.  I'm pretty sure that
transmit is turned off - the FAA would insist on that - but a passive
receiver in standby mode isn't going to require a lot of power.