Thanks for the info, Igor--so, you're the dancing photographer who does a little physics on the side--very interesting :-). Cheers, Christine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor Roshchin" <s...@komkon.org>
To: <PDML@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2011 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: PESO - Dream Dance

Sat Jun 4 01:28:48 EDT 2011
Christine Aguila wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor Roshchin" <str at komkon.org>
To: <PDML at pdml.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:51 PM

> Hi Christine,
>
> Thanks for the pointers and sharing the thoughts.
>
> I've done some ambient light photography of tango with Nikon D700,
> about half of the photos in this gallery:
> http://42graphy.org/tango/astf-2010/
>
> But it doesn't always work (espcially with K-7), because in many
> cases,
> one needs a reasonable DOF (I find that frequently f/1.4 and even
> 1.8-2.0
> don't provide enough, and even 2.8 is hard to use when the motion
> is fast and/or close).
>
> I took some photos with ISO 1600 and 3200 with my K-7 at
> the last festival, and they are passable shots, but I am not overly
> happy with them.

Yea, I'm disappointed with the K-7's iso quality too.  Maybe I'll go to
a place that has dancing and try some shots.  You know, looking at your
photos posted here (and there are some nice ones there), clearly you have
challenges to overcome with respect to light, but in a way, your bigger
challenge is all the people sitting around the dancing area :-).  Gosh,
what to do to minimize their presence :-)? I can see photographing dancers
in this context is no easy task.  I'm affraid I wasn't very helpful.
Cheers,
Christine

"Photography and dancers" (How to photograph dancers and
how to dance to come out well on photographs) - is a topic of a few
workshops that I've given recently, and the topic I am actively working
on, hoping to give more of those.
Sorry, if I am repeating myself, - I mentioned them a few months ago.
Some of the aspects of these workshop are described in these two flyers:
http://42graphy.org/news/DancersAndPhotographs-short.pdf
http://42graphy.org/news/DancersAndPhotographs.pdf

It is a challenging genre, but it's a fun one.
We've had several discussions of this question with Larry, who's been
doing things similar to what I do (dancing and photographing at the
dance events).
Besides technical issues, there are also issues related to the specifics
of different dances. E.g. after mastering [at some non-zero level]
photography of swing dances, it was a new challenge to figure
out photographing Argentine tango.

As for the surroundings (including the people), - basically, in most
cases, you have to deal with whatever you have just from the venue.
Often, you have to be aware of obstacles (e.g.  mirrors).
But sometimes you can use them to your advantage. Here are
some examples:
http://42graphy.org/swing/abp-2010/sun-classes/_IR_1402.html
http://42graphy.org/swing/abp-2010/sun-classes/_IR_1464.html

Actually, a flash sometimes helps to separate the foreground from the
background, as e.g. in this shot:
http://42graphy.komkon.org/swing/parties/west/_IR_2931.html

In any case, - I really appreciate your and other people's suggestions
and comments.

Igor