They were offered side-by-side for quite a while, so I didn't consider
it a replacement, but maybe Pentax did.
The K-r was introduced in Sept. 2010 and the K-x wasn't discontinued
until the end of March 2011. As one author opined on his blog: "It
would have been a mistake to replace the K-x with a totally redesigned
DSLR because of its popularity. So the Pentax K-r was born, but with
the same heart, the 12.4mp CMOS sensor."

I guess that is the question: Is the K-r the new entry level or is
there going to be a new one below it (the spot the K-x formerly
occupied)?

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska