On 2011-06-09 20:28 , Mark Cassino wrote:
The only viable option I see out there now is the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro. Has
anyone tried this lens? They state that it has a minimum focusing distance of 15

inches which is 1:1 magnification. So, minus the length of the lens (5 inches)
it looks like there would be about 10 inches of working room. That's not bad - the 200mm macro hit about 12 inches of working room at 1:1. The D-FA 100 only
has about 6 inches.

fwiw, my Sigma EX 105/2.8 macro (pre DG version) has "working room" of about 4 inches from the lens front (from physical lens front -- the glass is recessed at least an inch); however i often work at less than magnification than 1:1; at 1:2 it's got about 9 inches working room

still i like it very much, but i don't have much basis for comparison; it's light enough that i carry it often; my only niggle is that the focus ring turns only about 135 degrees