From: Mark Cassino

Hi Everyone -

It finally happened - my trusty old SMC A* 200mm macro developed a problem this
past weekend, and there is clearly an issue in the linkage between the arm that
controls the aperture and the aperture mechanism itself. I sent it off to Pentax

in hopes that they can get it fixed up, and hopefully they can. But I may as
well do some contingency planning as I await to hear form them...

The only viable option I see out there now is the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro. Has
anyone tried this lens? They state that it has a minimum focusing distance of 15

inches which is 1:1 magnification. So, minus?the length of the lens (5 inches)
it looks like there would be about 10 inches of working room. That's not bad -
the 200mm macro hit about 12 inches of working room at 1:1. The D-FA 100 only
has about 6 inches.

Any thoughts about other options??The Sigma 180mm macro is long gone and the A*
and FA* 200 macros are impossible to find. I just started playing around with my
A*

300 f4 and a Canon 500D multi element close up lens - the first test were
surprisingly sharp, but the range you can focus in is very small and the maximum

magnification is only about .65 life-size. I plan on trying the D-FA 100 with?
a ?teleconverter this weekend, but am not optimistic.

Any thoughts on the Sigma 150 or other options that might be out there?

Thanks -

MCC

www.markcassino.com/b2evolution/

I don't have any suggestions as far as alternatives go, but were I in your situation I think I would contact KEH and have them put the A* & FA* 200 macro on a "wish list" for me, so that if they got one in they'd let me know about it first thing.

Might not help, but it couldn't hurt.