On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Christine, the on-line reviews of 18-135 are a mixed bag. I attribute it
> either to significant sample variation or to potential bias of the reviewer.

I know... it can be hard to sort out the truth in online reviews (of
all kinds).  It did seem that those who were happiest with the lens
had a k-5... which introduces a whole 'nother kind of enablement
crisis..

> Ultimately it depends on your shooting style and your willingness to carry
> bulk and weight. Personally, I traveled several times with a small set of
> primes (21, 43, 77 or even 21 and 50) and it worked for me. I don't
> particularly like shooting longer than 77 mm on APS-C camera so that I
> cannot say too much about 50-135. Assuming Barcelona is similar to Oslo,
> Brussels, London or Prague that I visited, (speaking purely
> photographically, of course) I'd go for a quality wider lens and worry less
> for telephoto end.

Another vote for the 21mm!  For my own "shooting style", I prefer to
keep things simple.  I am deathly afraid of fumbling an expensive lens
on a busy city sidewalk or onto the sand at the beach.  So, I'm not
sure I'd have the courage to take a set of primes on a family trip...
But I like the idea of the 21 plus the 50-135 and/or the 50...

> It would make Pentax great good to introduce DA* 16-50 with the same AF
> motor as there is in 18-135, but I recall they said specifically that they
> won't...

Any luck on your trade?  I made Ecke an offer for his, but haven't
heard back yet.  ;)

Thanks,
-c