On 06/14/2011 03:58 PM, frank theriault wrote:
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Walt Gilbert<ldott...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Hi all,

Stepping briefly back out of obscurity to share a photo I took this morning.
  Sorry I haven't been around to participate.  Ever since I got home from my
visit to California with Larry and John, my mother's health has taken a turn
for the worse.  She's currently in hospice care, and it's fallen to me to
look after her.  She's in fairly grave condition - to the point where she's
taking morphine in both pill and liquid form, and I have to stay on top of
that.  And, as if that weren't enough, my father has suddenly taken ill with
heart problems -- both of them spent about ten days in the hospital at the
same time recently.  So, essentially, my photography is limited to what I
can find in my yard.

A couple of weeks ago, I order a reversing ring and have been tinkering
around with my K 50/1.4.  So far, this is the best shot I've managed to get
with it.  Basically, it's shot with my K-x using the pop-up flash and a Fuji
film canister with some wax paper lining the inside as a diffuser, at 400
ISO for 1/180 of second.  (It's a grasshopper-like insect, in case anyone is
squeamish about those).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walt_gilbert/5832616817/

(Lighbox) http://is.gd/Q6u4ys

I haven't done a great deal of editing to it -- bumped up the highlights
using curves in The GIMP and resized to make a faster upload.  I just wanted
to show it off because I was really happy with the way it turned out.  I
wish I could participate in the forum, or even seriously pursue photography
at all right now, but it's just tough to get serious with it in my current
situation.  With any luck, though, hospice will help to get my mother a
little more stabilized and I'll be able to get out and trudge around with
the camera a bit more.

Anyway -- that's the news from Kentucky.  I write and take photos when I
can, and figured I ought to at least touch base with everyone to let you all
know I'm still alive and check in on the list from time to time, whenever
the opportunity presents itself.
That's a really cool shot!

Sorry to hear of your parent's health issues - I know how difficult
these can be to deal with.  Thinking of both you and your parents and
all the strength you'll need to get through this.

I think it's good that you can get out with the camera (even if only
in your back yard) to give you a bit of a respite from everything.
Keep it up!

cheers,
frank
Thank you so much, Frank. It's a tough time, but I suppose it's a part of life that most everyone has to confront in some way at some point. It doesn't make it any easier, though I guess it does help to lend some perspective on those days when I'm tempted to feel sorry for myself.

Having taken up photography a couple of years ago has been a godsend. It's the one thing I can truly get lost in these days.

I continue to check in on Real Canadians Wearing Real Hats, BTW. It's a personal favorite!

Thanks again!

-- Walt