On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Ed Keeney <ewkph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a K100D that is now 4 1/2 years old with about 14000 images
> taken.  I've noticed more and more hot pixels being recorded on my
> shots, requiring more and more post processing detail work.
>
> At what point do you say it is time to suck it up and get a new camera?
>
> I should have started saving a long time ago for this.

14000 exposures is rarely enough to have worn anything out.

hot pixels ... In your JPEGs or raw files? Long exposures or normal
exposures (1/20 second and shorter)?

If in the raw files, try using Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom ... they
have hot pixel removal built in.
If in the normal exposure range JPEGs, send the camera to Pentax and
they'll do a pixel remapping for you. (I don't recall whether Pentax
supports pixel remapping as a user feature).

Hot pixels can be an annoyance, but unless there are more than 5% hot
pixels (and on a 10Mpixel camera that means a million or more
photosites are dead) there's little need to replace the camera on that
basis.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com